Thyroid Nodule Treatment: What to Do?
A thyroid nodule is a lump or swelling that develops in the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is a small, butterfly-shaped gland located in the front of the neck, just below Adam’s apple. It produces hormones that regulate the body’s metabolism. Most thyroid nodules are benign, meaning they are not cancerous. However, some thyroid nodules can be malignant or cancerous and can spread to other parts of the body if left untreated. Thyroid nodule symptoms may not be many, but some people may experience: a lump or swelling in the neck, difficulty swallowing, pain in the neck or throat, hoarseness or other voice changes, and neck tenderness. In some cases, an overactive thyroid nodule can lead to symptoms such as rapid heart rate, weight loss, increased appetite, and nervousness or irritability. Thus, below are some of the points that will help you treat thyroid nodules.
● Watchful waiting: If the nodule is small and not causing any symptoms, your doctor may recommend simply monitoring it over time with periodic ultrasound exams and blood tests. This approach is often taken if the nodule is not growing and there is no evidence of malignancy. In these cases, it is important to have regular follow-up exams with a doctor to monitor any changes in the nodule.
● Radioactive iodine therapy: The thyroid nodule treatment without surgery in India involves taking a small amount of radioactive iodine, which is absorbed by the thyroid gland and can shrink the nodule over time. This therapy is often used for benign nodules causing hyperthyroidism and can lead to the permanent reduction or resolution of the nodule. But due to radioactivity and non-homogeneous response, the technique is getting obsolete.
● Radiofrequency or microwave thermal ablation: This is the latest and most effective thyroid nodule treatment without surgery in India. These techniques involve the use of a simple needle/antenna with a connection to a generator. Radiofrequency or microwaves travel through the antenna and create titrated pockets of heat that destroy the nodule. The nodule shrinks with time. Dr. Gaurav Gangwani is one of the highest-volume thyroid nodule operators with this technique.
● Anti-thyroid medication: If the nodule is producing too much thyroid hormone, this medication can help reduce the production of the hormone and shrink the nodule. These medications work by inhibiting the production of thyroid hormone, which can help regulate the levels of thyroid hormone in the body and reduce the size of the nodule. This treatment is often used for benign nodules that are causing hyperthyroidism.
● Hormone therapy: If the nodule is producing too much thyroid hormone, causing hyperthyroidism, this thyroid calcification treatment may involve taking medications to reduce the production of thyroid hormone. These medications, known as anti-thyroid drugs, can help regulate the levels of thyroid hormone in the body and reduce the size of the nodule. This treatment is often used for benign nodules that are causing symptoms. It is important to note that non-surgical treatments for thyroid nodules may not be appropriate for everyone and that the best course of treatment will depend on the individual case. Your doctor will be able to advise you on the best treatment options based on the results of your diagnostic tests and the severity of your condition.